USD 235 Students, Parents, and Patrons:
First, as adults and educators we need to remember our students and families are in a state of shock about what has taken place over the past few days. Many of us are there as well. Let’s all be patient and compassionate with and to each other. Students learn from each situation and I think it is extremely important that we model this behavior for our students.
I want to continue to reiterate and make sure we all understand that while our buildings are closed at this time we will still be having school in some form for the rest of the year. This possibly might be a combination of small group instruction in our buildings, online learning, and packet learning. No decision has been made at this time on what this will look like for our students.
Please also take into consideration that all of this will have to meet the guidelines presented to us by the Continual Learning Taskforce. Those guidelines and recommendations will be coming to us in the early evening on Wednesday, March 18.
USD 235 Timeline:
· Spring Break, March 23-27, will remain student and staff time off as scheduled.
· The following week, March 30-April 3, will be a planning week for our staff to implement the plan provided by KSDE and the Kansas Extended Learning Task Force. Once the plan is ready to implement we will notify students and families of what this will look like going forward.
· USD 235 will continue to provide meals until March 20 and begin again following Spring Break. Our food service staff made and delivered 50 meals to children and students ages 1-18 on Tuesday, March 17. We will be making meals again and delivering to drop-off points on Thursday, March 19. If you would like meals made available for your children, please call Michelle DeMott at 620-238-4968. She will need to know the number of meals requested and where you will be picking them up at. Uniontown – WBE, Redfield – Marmaton Community Church, Bronson – Bronson Locker, and Mapleton – City Park. Please understand that your child and/or student will need to be present to get the meals. We can only provide meals if the children/students are present.
· USD 235 will make every effort to provide opportunities to our Eagles for continuous learning with the guidelines provided by KDHE and KSDE. We will take every Eagle into consideration moving forward.
· At this time, all USD 235 activities and events occurring on or before Friday, May 29, 2020, have been postponed. We will be looking at options to reschedule events as possible after that date. This includes prom and graduation.
I will continue to update all of you as more information becomes available.
Bret Howard, Superintendent
Uniontown USD 235