USD 235 Parents/Guardians:
For anyone who wasn’t able to get to the school for pick-up of your personal belongings or technology devices you may still call or email the building principal. WBE is Mr. Vance Eden at email@example.com and Uniontown JH/HS is Mr. Mike Reith at firstname.lastname@example.org. They will make arrangements for a day and time for your belongings to be picked up.
Thursday, April 2 will be our second day of new meal plans. If you want to get meals for Tuesday, April 7 you need to call Michelle DeMott at 620-238-4968. They will begin making all of those meals on April 6. The Food Staff also will need to place an order for food delivery in order to ensure all meals can be made.
REMINDER: If you don’t call Michelle and request a meal and provide a rural address for delivery or let Michelle know a pick-up point there will not be a meal made for you. Please refer to our Facebook post on March 27 for details or go to the following link on our website. https://www.uniontown235.org/article/220059?org=uniontown-usd-235
USD 235 sent out a phone call and email via School Messenger to alert parents of the Teacher/Student Test Zoom Session scheduled for Thursday, April 2. The schedule will be:
- Teacher/students Zoom meetings - test run, connecting with students, (15-20 minutes max)
- ○9:00-9:30 PK, JH Band/Choir (Allen, Rowland), Tourtillott HS
- ○9:30-10:00 K, HS Band/Choir/Guitar, Piano (Rowland), Tourtillott JH
- ○10:00-10:30 1st, JH Art (Woods), HS PE (Stark)
- ○10:30-11:00 2nd, HS Art (Woods), JH PE (Stark)
- ○11:00-11:30 3rd, Endicott
- ○11:30-12:00 4th, Feagins
- ○1:00-1:30 5th, Massa
- ○1:30-2:00 6th, Sutton
- ○2:00-2:30 Studer, H. Hays
- ○2:30-3:00 Cook, Jackson
- ○3:00-3:30 Durnell, C. Hays
- ○3:30-4:00 Weston, Ables
Teachers will also be contacting students through regular communication channels. Those include student email, Google Classroom and/or Class DoJo.
We do anticipate having technology glitches. Our technology department of 3 employees has been working very hard over the past week. Please be patient as we continue to work to make this work as efficiently as possible.
I will continue to communicate frequently with our students, parents, and patrons of Uniontown USD 235 to keep all of you aware of district plans going forward. I know these posts do not answer every question, but I will do my best to get this information out to everyone through multiple outlets. Not everyone in our district has access to the internet and may not have a social media account on either Facebook or Twitter. If you know of people in this category, please help us get information to them or email me at email@example.com and we will make sure to get this information in their hands.
Reminder for parents: Today was the third day for staff to meet and continue discussing options for the Uniontown USD 235 Continuous Learning Plan. I am pleased with many of the creative and innovative approaches I have heard our teachers talking about. We have no plans to bring students back into our buildings in small group settings. We will proceed in planning our Continuous Learning Plan during March 30 through April 3 with our staff by focusing on 1) Online learning opportunities using video conferencing and 2) Enrichment activities sent home via packets.
We will provide more details to our parents/guardians when the plan is finalized. We expect the plan will be finalized by late Thursday afternoon. We will begin sharing some of the details of the plan late Thursday afternoon and Friday morning. We will not be ready to put our plan in place until Monday, April 6, at the earliest.
Thank you for working together to make this the best experience possible for your child(ren).
Our thoughts for the USD 235 Continuous Learning Plan still are:
- We will be focusing on essential learning and essential outcomes for students – “Less is More”.
- We will be emphasizing relationships in this new learning environment.
- Our decisions must support all populations of students.
- We will establish a consistent and agreed upon framework of expectations, communication models and practices that all stakeholders share.
- We will be using 1-2 platforms of learning for all students. We simply can’t have every person using their own platforms. This would be confusing for students and parents alike.
- The guidance we received has recommendations on time for students to spend learning each day. We will be using these recommendations. They are 30 minutes for Pre-K; 45 minutes for KG and 1st grade; 60 minutes for 2nd and 3rd grade; 90 minutes for 4th and 5th grade; and 30 minutes per teacher in 6th through 12th grade. (3 hours’ maximum in a day.) These will be maximum minutes and doesn’t mean that it will even be daily.
- Continuous Learning will not be hours of screen time for students and parents.
- We will not just be making copies of worksheets and sending them home. It will involve a combination of A) Online Learning and B) Packet Learning for students who do not have reliable internet connection.
- We are continuing to work with Craw-Kan to find different places around our districts for Hot Spots. We will post the addresses of these Hot Spot locations as they are made available.
Be safe Eagles!
Thank you and God Bless,
Bret Howard, Superintendent Uniontown USD 235